We are excited to announce the publication today, July 29, 2013 of "Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy for Dummies" by Brent Bradley and James Furrow, a nice supplement to "Hold Me Tight," the book by the creator of Emotionally Focused Therapy, Sue Johnson. You can purchase your copy in paperback now by clicking on the book below (directing you to the Barnes and Noble website), on Amazon.com, or your favorite local bookstore. (It is not yet available for download on Kindle or iBooks)
Overview from Barnes and Noble Description of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy for Dummies:
A practical, down-to-earth guide to using the world's most successful approach to couples therapy
One of the most successful therapeutic approaches to healing dysfunctional relationships, emotionally focused couples therapy provides clients with powerful insights into how and why they may be suppressing their emotions and teaches them practical ways to deal with those feelings more constructively for improved relationships. Unlike cognitive-behavioural therapy, which provides effective short-term coping skills, emotionally focused therapy often is prescribed as a second-stage treatment for couples with lingering emotional difficulties. Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy For Dummies introduces readers to this ground-breaking therapy, offering simple, proven strategies and tools for dealing with problems with bonding, attachment and emotions, the universal cornerstones of healthy relationships.
- An indispensable resource for readers who would like to manage their relationship problems independently through home study
- Delivers powerful techniques for dealing with unpleasant emotions, rather than repressing them and for responding constructively to complex relationship issues
- The perfect introduction to EFT basics for therapists considering expanding their practices to include emotionally focused therapy methods
- Packed with fascinating and instructive case studies and examples of EFT in action, from the authors' case files
- Provides valuable guidance on finding, selecting and working with the right EFT certified therapist
From the Back Cover of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy for Dummies on Amazon.com
- Grasp the basics of emotionally focused therapy (EFT)
- Work more effectively with the emotions essential to lasting love
- Mend complex issues in your relationship
A down-to-earth guide to one of the world's leading approaches to couple therapy!
Emotionally focused therapy (EFT) helps you find deeper satisfaction and more effective ways to connect with your partner at a profound emotional level by teaching you powerful ways to transform negative patterns and to build a stronger bond. Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy For Dummies will introduce you to this ground-breaking therapy, which has been consistently proven to be one of the most successful therapies for couples wanting to improve their relationships and resolve chronic couple distress and dissatisfaction. Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy For Dummies is your one-stop resource to this increasingly popular approach to healing relationships.
- Start with the basics of EFT — understand the power of emotion in your relationship, and identify the three levels of emotional experience
- Delve into the intricacies of your relationship — find the common patterns of couple conflict and the roles you play within them
- Develop a solution together — become familiar with how to find intimacy in your relationship in new ways
- Identify when you may need couple therapy — know which questions to ask therapists before you make an appointment
Open the book and find:
- The fundamentals of emotionally focused couple therapy
- Exercises to try at home with your partner
- Ways to stay away from negative patterns and roles
- The three fighting styles, and how to work through them
- Tips on dealing with infidelity
- How to find an EFT therapist that's right for you
- Ten myths about sex
About the Author
Brent Bradley, PhD, is Associate Professor of Family Therapy at the University of Houston-Clear Lake, and president of The Couple Zone (www.couplezone.org). Dr. Bradley is a certified emotionally focused couple therapist, supervisor, and trainer. James Furrow, PhD, is Professor of Marital and Family Therapy at the Fuller Graduate School of Psychology. Dr. Furrow is executive director of the Los Angeles Center for EFT and a certified emotionally focused couple therapist, supervisor, and trainer.